Re: What is a "national"....?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 02:57:44 -0400 "Joseph Pappalardo"
<joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> writes:
> Dave Faneuf...newsman extrordinaire....
>
> Did we have this discussion before?
> What exactly is a 'national'...when referring to an individual?
> As in a "Pakistani national"...or an Israeli national"?
> Is this different than simply being a citizen of said country?
> we're hearing this alot in news reporting this week...
>
> Thanks!
> JP

Yes, I believe we had this discussion when I heard a reporter refer to a
Puerto Rican National.

The way I would use the term is to talk about a citizen of another
country "Pakistani National" who is physically in another country, so as
an example bin Laden would be a "Saudi National" in Afganistan.

Since Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States there is no such
thing as a Puerto Rican National, they would be called Americans.

df