Re: Graphic video

NPR did another great job on the story of CBS to air the 'graphic footage'.
I think they covered it well...and the response by CBS was well presented
too...You might want to give a listen...and comment:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20010913.atc.15.ram

> >would we have had the pictures of the
> > Hindenburg disaster?
>
> I would have shown the Hindenburg tape.  Not showing the tape would have
> been like not showing the pictures of the planes hitting the towers.

But not just the burning of the Hindenberg.... what about the bodies falling
out of the Hindenberg...?

THAT was certainly a peice of the story....and the visuals told the story.

> > And what about that famous picture of the Vietnamese general executing
the
> > 'spy'.   Should we not have shown that?
>
> I would have shown these pictures as well.  This illustrated an act of an
> American allie in a war we were fighting.  There was a good reason to show
> the photo.

But what about his family?  What about respect and restraint?  Did it belong
on the front page of "Look"...(or was it "Life"?)...a general circulation
family magazine?

BTW...the Herald had a still picture of the one man falling or
jumping....was that OK?

Joe
(Playing a bit of devil's advocate...!0