Re: Horror of Terrorist Attack

dan wrote:
>>I suppose you could argue that PBS is providing a public service by
showing
kids programming to give families the option of watching something else, but
I think that's lame in the time of a national tragedy like this.<<

i'm sure that PBS will have some very interesting coverage and analysis on
this tonight.  i am not opposed to alternatives at the moment.  i have an 8
year old.  he has seen the WTC and now, he has seen the replays, over and
over, of the slo-mo approach of a plane full of innocent, LA-bound people.
and he has seen the replays of the collapse of those buildings.
recalling November of 63, i can remember that something bad happened.  that
mom and dad were very very upset for days.  i know it had something to do
with the President.  but at age 5 at the time, grown-up problems aren't the
same as kid problems.
an alternative is a healthy thing.  my son is old enough to grasp the
enormity of this situation when i explained to him that there may be as many
people dead as are in the city in which we live.  he gave that some thought.
more than i would have expected.  he's now watching Toonami on Cartoon
network, gameboy in hand.
i can not fathom, and never have been able to come close, to wondering what
it's like to be an 8 year old in the West Bank or in Northern Ireland or any
one of a number of places.
Our media has, from what we can see, been acting responsibly and
emotionally.  the Big 3 (Tom, Peter and Dan) have all been choking back
tears today; they're human, as are we all.  objectivity is allowed to go out
the window at times.  it's human nature.  as Larry King is known (or at
least was) to write in his columns... "if...., check your pulse."

- -Chuck Igo