9 1 1

today is September 11.  9/11.
just a note on a few broadcast observances while things are fresh.
went into a job seminar just before 9 this morning and head the I-man
talking with Warner Wolfe about the explosion at the World Trade Center.
Warner was pretty sure it was an airplane.
I came out of the seminar and turned on the car.  Heard Jim Crocker and Mike
McArdle (sp?) on 970 WZAN.  scratching of head as i pulled out of parking
spot.  then i heard the tally.  two towers and a five-sided building.
first call was to a buddy's mom&dad in Cambridge; buddy is a Col. in the
Army, attached to the 'Gon.  no cell service available INTO Boston.
(subsequent verification that buddy was not at work; he's attending a
college in VA for a year)
second call was to my cousin, an AA pilot.  he was, blessedly, still at
home, not scheduled to fly until later.
as i type this:  shop at home cable services have suspending shilling of
wares, one of which (ValueVision) is airing news coverage; VH1 is airing
news coverage from CBS channel 2 (is that NYC?), as is FoxFamily(and all Fox
affliated channels, including sports and The Movie Classics FMC channel);
ESPN, ESPN2, CSPN is taking calls, and CSPN2 is carrying news.
Diane Sawyer said it best, although i paraphrase here:  all of us would, if
we could, rewind these disturbing video tapes.
God be with all of those affected: victims, families, loved ones, friends
and especially the emergency rescue workers, firefighters, police and
hospital personnel who will unwillingly re-live the next few days for the
rest of their lives.

- -Chuck Igo