RE: FM Radio DXing

--- Adam Rivers <adamrivers@prodigy.net> wrote:
 if any of you don't believe it..

I have no problem believing.

Before I realized what DX'ing was, I DX'ed an FM'er out of Manchester?
Georgia via E-skip when I was about 8 years old (1967?). I was camping in
the Weirs section of Laconia NH at the time. The radio was a sizable AM/FM
GE portable that was quite popular at the time.

My first TV DX via tropo was CH13 out of Portland Maine to Nashua NH. I
was in the second grade in 1964 and was watching Captain Kangaroo via
tropo. My mom told me to stop playing with the TV, as she knew that the
Captain was supposed to be on channel # out of Boston. I forget who was
CBS Boston at that time, Channel 5 WHDH-TV I think.  This reception was
via a "CBS TV", yes a Columbia Broadcast System Branded Television,
complete with safety glass, in front of the picture tube!

My FM/TV totals about 500 stations now (I think, my combined AM/FM/TV
totals are 1085, I forget what the breakout is). If you want to be
technically correct AM/FM/TV is really MW Broadcast/VHF Audio
Broadcast/VHF/UHF Television Broadcast. (AM and FM are modes of
transmission, not frequencies groups.)

I DX'ed solid until the mid 1980's until everything seemed old hat. After
a break of about a dozen years, DX'ing opportunties have changed
significantly (many cases for the worse) and I'm enthusiastic about the
hobby again.

One thing that comes to mind that has changed are TV tuners. No more fine
tuning knobs or continuous dialing UHF knobs. The UHF tuners of the past
were horrible, however. In the upper channel you could often fine tune the
picture or the sound, but not both at the same time. Something about a low
"Q" in cheap TV sets, I forget my theory.

Adam, have you tried TV Dx'ing, if not, try it, and get your camera ready.
I have a whole album of DX catches, if you don't believe it!

John
N1QGS
Derry NH