Re: College radio streaming (was Re: XTRA)

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 02:28:19 -0400 "Hakim Madjid" <HMadjid@mindspring.com>
writes:
> My understanding is that it is not AFTRA issues, but it is the
> royalty
> payments to the record industry.
> I hope the weblink below works ok - it is an archived story on
> CNN.com
> explaining the matter.

IIRC (from memory) the station groups at first tried to pin the blame on
AFTRA (I heard Art Bell lamenting over the fact that his breaks contain
just music, he even pulled PSA's blaming AFTRA) but I believe Hakim is
correct, the record industry wanted a cut and since the groups were not
making money on the web anyway they just pulled the plug.

df