Re: Every Now And Then, Something Fun Happens

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Igo" <Chuckigo@worldnet.att.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 8:44 PM
Subject: Every Now And Then, Something Fun Happens

>      This evening, I had the pleasure of spending time in the company of
> people who, along with being good friends and professional acquaintances,
> are an abundance of radio history in and of themselves.

Wow, what a group.  I had the pleasure of working with some you mentioned,
including Bud Sawyer, Gary Dixon, Bob Gerathy (aka Grady), and of course,
Mr. Igo.

I worked with Bob at WLAM in 1986.  He taught me a lot.  I remember riding
the board during many afternoon drive remotes and juggling all the sounders,
music beds, and other elements of a full service AC format.  We always
prided ourselves on pulling it off flawlessly.  I also remember one time
when management decided we should say "Write it down" every time we said the
call letters, in a lame attempt to help ratings.  Bob and I hated the idea
and decided to make the phrases sound as obnoxious as possible.  Management
rescinded the policy after two days.

I ran board for several Bud Sawyer remotes at WPOR in 1987.  Bud's a legend
but was very relaxed about things like clocks and times for stopsets.  PD
Tom Hennessey told me not to worry about the log and clocks and to just take
remote breaks whenever Bud wanted to so that's what we did!  Over 20 years
of top ratings earns such flexibility.  I'll never understand why Bud was
put out to pasture at WPOR.  WPOR's current ratings would have been
unthinkable in Bud's day.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine