Re: 1010 AM

<<On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:40:04 -0400, "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> Some horse-trading apparently resulted in the move (back in the 40s) of a US
> station in the San Francisco area (which is just more than 650 miles from
> Canada) from one Canadian clear channel to another. KQW San Jose (now KCBS
> San Francisco) moved from 1010 to 740. This provided better protection to
> the dominant Canadian station on 1010--CBR Calgary. But the CBC later put a
> 50 kW Class II station, CBX Edmondton, on 740 in AB.

Actually, at the time KQW moved from 1010 to 740, CBR was in Edmonton,
not Calgary.  I believe that the move south coincided with KQW's
frequency change, and ISTR that KQW's move to the Novato transmitter
site and change in community of license also took place at that time.
KCBS's engineering department used to have an excellent Web page about
the Novato site.  KCBS is the only San Francisco-licensed station to
transmit from the North Bay, as a consequence of the protection it
must afford Canada.  I'm not sure when Edmonton came on the air.

> Canada--and that situation  (a Class B _designed_ to interfere substantially
> with a Class A within the borders of the country in which the Class A is
> located) may--on paper, at least--be unique to 1010.

And even more so since the patterns of both CFRB and WINS were relaxed
a few years ago, providing a greater zone of interference between the
two stations in exchange for wider metro coverage.

-GAWollman