Re: Local Political Coverage

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 12:09:05 EDT RadioTony@aol.com writes:
> I ran for Boston City Council at-Large in 1997 and I was furious when
> both
> WBZ and WRKO refused to allow me to run any radio ads! They said
> they didn't
> want to give discounted rates for candidates, as required by law. I
> then
> requested what the regular rates were and both stations told me that
> they
> weren't going to air my ads even if I paid the corporate rate! Of
> course,
> times were good in radio advertising then ...
>
> In a message dated 9/1/01 10:10:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> billo@shoreham.net writes:
>
> > WBZ wouldn't even take ads from local candidates running for
> office!  Talk

IMHO since stations ARE required to sell political ads to candidtes for
Federal office they should be required to sell it to anyone running for
office however I don't believe they should be forced to sell these ads or
any other ads at discounted rates.  And if a candidate wants Triple A
time they pay for Triple A time.  Do newspapers run discounted ads?
Magazines?  No, of course not.

df