Re: the demise of WEVD

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Donna Halper wrote:
> something sad about a station that has existed since 1927 having the plug
> pulled on it so unceremoniously.  So many great names and famous people

But you have to admit Donna, it did go out in a classy way.  It reminded
me of when our country station WYNY-FM 103.5 went away and the staff did a
closing like that also. It was touching, especially considering the
garbage that followed (Mancow Muller) that heart-tearing broadcast.

I managed to tape the last 25 minutes of Alan Colmes' last show...and the
first 15 minutes of the tape (hard-drive) loop that ESPN-1050 is playing
to promote itself.  The new station debuts on Tuesday.

Granted, I would have prefered (and a part of me hoped) that this was all
an elaborate promotion stunt by WEVD/The Forward to grab media attention
and new listeners......sure I would have been pissed a little, but THAT
would have been funny as all hell. The ultimate April fool's joke done in
August/September.  Alas, the joke was on me.

--
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few