RE: 1570 Westfield (Was: RE: Thanks )

The most outrageous similar move (proposed but just
denied by the FCC) was of WCHO 1250 in Washington
Courthouse OH to 700 somewhere in eastern NC. That must
have been a move of nearly 500 miles.

I don't think the FCC denied WCHO's application on its
merits (or lack thereof) either. The application was
part of the three-way contest. WCBM 680 in Baltimore had
applied to move its TX about 15 miles west and increase
from 10 kW-D/5 kW-N DA-2 to 50 kW-D/20 kW-N DA-2. WWTL
in Walkersville MD, a daytimer on 700, had applied to
change its COL to Poolesville MD and increase its day
power from 2.5 or 5 kW to 25 kW-DA-D.

The FCC designated the three applications (WCBM's,
WWTL's and WCHO's) as mutually exclusive. At least two
of the applications (WCBMs and WWTL's) involve complex
DAs. WCBM proposed six towers directionalized to the
east and WWTL proposed four towers (if I recall
correctly) directionalized to the south. The proposed
sites for WCBM and WWTL were within 20 miles of each
other.

The FCC claimed the there would be prohibited overlap
between WCBM and WWTL, a claim I doubted because of the
severely directional signals. There would definitely
have been prohibited overlap between WWTL and WCHO,
however, because WWTL's 25 kW signal would have gone
right down the salt water of Chesapeake Bay to eastern
NC.

Ultimately, the FCC granted WCBM's and WWTL's
applications and denied WCHO's. A factor may have been
the fact that WWLG, which is co-owned with WCBM, had
applied for (and I think has now been granted) a move
from 1360 to 1370 using dual sites. (WWLG had used dual
sites on 1360 but had lost its day site and has been
temporarily using its night site full time with very low
day power.) WWLG's new night site on 1370 is to be
WCBM's old site, and the WWLG towers could not be
constructed there if the WCBM towers had remained.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205