Re: this week in review

That mindset is so typical of radio execs, but to me it
seems patently absurd. Just because a format has failed
in a market, you cannot assume that a similar format
will also fail in that market--especially if it's on a
different signal.

A format might have failed because of poor execution,
lack of promotion, or because it was on a signal whose
coverage didn't match the target demo(s). I think
Greater Media has a prime example of the last of these
three reasons in its own Boston cluster--and Don knows
it.

Even though country had been on signals (96.9, 105.7)
that nominally covered the market better, it is doing
better on 99.5, which provides better coverage of areas
to the north of Boston, albeit not of downtown Boston.
The target audience seems to be most heavily
concentrated in areas north of Boston--especially in
southern NH.

Then there is the tendency of programmers and ad
agencies to periodically "discover" certain demos. Why
are young white males suddenly a "hot" demo? It's not as
if they weren't around two years ago. Presumably, in
their rush to focus on this group, the programmers are
forsaking women in the same age group. Don't AAA and
modern country target women? Why couldn't a format that
leaned heavily on a mix of modern country, AAA, and soft
AC do well with women? And if it did, would it matter?
Seemingly the ad agencies, in their rush to capture the
young white males, are in the throes of writing off the
female audience. I think the decision makers are like
lemmings, lining up to march off the same cliff and
drown in an ocean of conformity.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205