Re: Is It My Radio?

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 umar@nerodia.wcrb.com wrote:

> Needham.

Thanks for the correction. You-Do-It is definitely in Needham, not Dedham.
I get my hams confused.

> I think a good tube-type sortwave radio with old-fashioned analog tuning
> will usually beat a digital portable.

A few years ago I sold a beautiful Hammarlund receiver, an HQ-180 I
believe. It was in perfect working condition, and dated to about 1960,
and was tube-type. It was big and heavy but man, did it sound the nuts.
My suggestion for the Sony 7600G was based merely on the fact that for
casual listening by someone who might not be interested in setting up
a full blown "shack", it can't really be beat. You can buy it cheap
enough, it'll work without worry, and if you decide you don't like
shortwave you can sell it on eBay for practically what you paid new.

But I agree, for truly good shortwave listening, a quality tube-type
receiver can't be beat. I'm in therapy as a result of selling the
Hammarlund. It was the worst thing I've ever done. I'll repent by
someday owning an R-390A.

Sorry that this has drifted off-topic. Now returning you to YRSP.

-L