Re: WGY's relatively poor signal

Thr soil conductivity in the Adirondacks, the Catskills,
Long Island, and most of New England is terrible, but
the conductivity in the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys is
quite good. And portions of western New York where the
terrain is not mountainous have very good soil
conductivity.

I don't consider WGY's signal to be relatively poor.
It's consistent with the soil conductivity around the TX
site, which isn't bad (between 4 and 8 milliSiemens/m,
if memory serves). In eastern Mass, the conductivity is
generally between 1 and 2 mS/m, with the better values
found near the coast. In northwestern CT and Long Island
(particularly near the south shore), the number is
around 0.5. According to the soil-conductivity map,
that's about as bad as it gets anywhere.

In North Dakota and in the Los Angeles Basin, on the
other hand, values between 30 and 40 mS/m are common.

The official value for salt water is 5 S/m--more than
100 times as good as the best values on land and more
2000 times the values on land around Boston. Hence the
huge advantage in sites that allow the signal to reach
populous areas via a salt-water path. The stations
located near Wellington Circle have this advantage on
the South Shore and Cape Cod. Same for WROL, WLYN, and
WESX. Even though WRKO is well inland, it enjoys a
similar advantage because its high power, low dial
position, and favorable directional pattern keep its
signal quite strong all the way to the water's edge,
where the salt water takes over. WBZ, WJDA, and WMKI
have such an advantage on the North Shore.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205