Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Heat Wave Triggers Demise of the Elderly; WCRB Arbitrends(tm) Decline

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:14:34
From: <umar@nerodia.wcrb.com>
To: Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com>
Cc:boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Laurence Glavin wrote:

>  This is roughly the second anniversary of the removal of the Metropolitan Opera
> broadcasts from WCRB.  The station took a critical and journalistic hit at the
> time and afterwards, they seem to have adopted a policy of hiding from view
> since then.

>WHRB, on the other hand, got favorable mentions in the Globe, the New York
>Times, and even Sports Illustrated.

>Does anyone know if Chevron/Texaco is going to continue sponsoring the
>Metropolitan Opera Radio Network? As of today, we haven't heard.

I visited The Met's web site  www.metopera.org/broadcast/radio.html
and there is every indication that the broadcasts will continue
as normal.  The station lineup may be out-of-date:  WGMS is shown
as the Washington, DC affiliate;  they bowed out in April.

> Almost NOTHING has changed on South St. in Waltham for two years, the
> same recordings, the same little promotions (Killer B's)...  the ratings
> stayed the same with some upticks when Arbitron(tm) added some small
> Worcester County towns to the Boston Metro,

I was going by the 12-plus numbers on rronline.com and printed
in the papers.  Dean Johnson and Clea Simon sometimes break
down the numbers for other stations, but not WCRB...possibly because
the station is not so much of a factor when you do that.

Actually the ratings went down when that happened. AQH share has averaged
about half a point lower ever since.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------