Re: WBZ reception is worsening

<<On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:18:49 -0400 (EDT), <umar@nerodia.wcrb.com> said:

> Just about everybody has a backup transmitter; having a backup *site* is
> another matter.

Scott and I have now visited a good number of the old I-A tx sites.
All of them had backup towers, except WHAM.  Only WBZ had a completely
separate backup facility.  Having backup sites seems to be a
particular desire of FM engineers, probably owing to the amount of
tower work that has to go on these days with everything de-energized.
(Some of those AM backup towers are far enough away from the primary,
even though they're on the same plot of land, that most maintenance
could be conducted without leaving the air.  WLW's, for instance, is
on the opposite side of the transmitter building.

-GAWollman