Re: Re: Layoffs at WCVB??... WMURS website

NH Radio writes anonymously:

> I dont know how many other people on the list know this. But theyve changed
> the WMUR website to:
>
> http://www.thewmurchannel.com
>
> Like thebostonchannel.com
>
> I didnt realize "wmur" was a place like boston.. Not counting the Pres.
> primary season...
>
> what do people think if this.. i think its dumb

Hearst-Argyle's newer station-linked websites (from what I understand talking to WCVB's sports web site guy in the past, the sites aren't actually operated by H-A, they're run by a company in Minneapolis) are created with URLs such as the(call letters)channel.com. That's what they have done with WBAL (don't try pulling up thebaltimorechannel.com, you won't get anywhere) and WGAL here in Harrisburg/Lancaster. My guessing for this is that in some markets (such as central PA, with four cities WGAL serves) naming a web site after a city in particular (i.e. theharrisburgchannel.com) might alienate people in, say, Lebanon. Or confuse them. Or both.

-Sean