Re: Layoffs at WCVB??

<<On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:59:08 -0400, "Chris Beckwith" <beckwith@ime.net> said:

> compute.  Still, it's interesting to speculate on what cuts Channel 5 can make
> to improve its bottom line without hurting its reputation.

I wonder how much in the way of ``synergy'' it's possible for them to
get with the other stations in the region that they own.  Rather than
cutting in a way which would hurt them in the largest market, it's
conceivable -- if they have the capability -- for them to transfer
some of their overhead costs to those other stations by centralizing
functions such as traffic, programming, news-gathering, and even
master control.  Compare, for example, the Ackerley stations in
upstate New York.

-GAWollman