Let's Talk About Transmitters, part 2

 From my massive bunch of old files, comes this mid-April 1947 photo
caption (I have the photo somewhere too) when WLAW moved from River Road in
Andover to a new and improved site in Burlington...

"WLAW IS NEW ENGLAND'S MOST POWERFUL RADIO STATION

Above is shown the new 50,000 watt transmitter at Burlington,
Massachusetts, 11 air miles from Boston. With three towers, 440 feet high
each, the transmitter covers approximately 100 acres of land.  It is of
modernistic design, embracing all of the latest scientific developments,
including those resulting from war-time research."

The photo didn't look especially modernistic-- it looked just like a
transmitter shack to me... Also, given that WBZ had 50,000 watts too, I
wonder how they felt about WLAW's claim of being New England's most
powerful station... The 1948 Radio Annual listed WLAW as an ABC affiliate,
680 kHz, with an FM at 93.7 mHz, and studios in both Boston and Lawrence.