Re: Phil Hendrie (...and Jerry Williams...)

A tape trader sent me some bits of his show (have
since taped over, though). One show had him talking to
a very upset man (again, this was a "set-up") who
was trying to sue the manufacturer of those Furby
dolls (the ones which repeat phrases people say),
because he was driving home from a funeral of a
close friend and the doll started cursing at him.

Again, definitely satire and humor here...Reminds me
of when Jerry Williams used to have local comic
Jay Charbonneau on. Jay would appear as a "character"
(politician, cab driver, or whatever) and he and
Jerry would pretend that Jay's character was legit.
Then suddenly Jerry would say, "Well, if you haven't
figured it out yet, my guest is really comedian
Jay Charbonneau..."

Jerry would also have an impressionist on (I forget
his name at the moment) would who impersonate people
like Mike Dukakis. Most people would realize it was
not the real (then-) Governor on the air, but at least
once they supposedly were contacted by the State House
and asked to mention that the man on the air was not
the _real_ Governor.