Re: Re: WNSH 1570 back on (again!)

--- Dan Billings <dib9@gwi.net> wrote:
> The "Real Country" network is also on WMCM 103.3
> Rockland, Maine.  The
> network plays all the current country hits, but also
> plays older country
> songs that you would never hear on most country
> stations

I'm all for that! Speaking of which, I was listening
to an aircheck tape of a fill-in I did for WMWM's
Sunday morning country show, "Country Express"
(now gone), circa '93 or '94.

I heard myself mention, "well, we don't have a country
station here in town" (this was before WCLB/ WBCS/
WKLB), "so here's your chance to hear great old and
new country..." In addition to then-current hits and
oldies, I played a seven-minute song that most country

stations wouldn't touch:"London Homesick Blues" by the
Lost Gonzo Band
(aka the theme for the long running PBS
series "Austin City Limits"...)

And by the way, maybe it's not too surprising that
country stations don't play the old songs; after all,
would a CHR station play Frank Sinatra, Little
Richard, or Lesley Gore? Could you picture them
seguing Eminem with "Fly Me To The Moon"? So maybe
it's not surprising that country stations don't want
to mix Dixie Chicks with Merle Haggard or Loretta
Lynn (though maybe country-oldies would be slightly
more compatible to contemporary country than
pop oldies would be to CHR...) Now, I wouldn't _mind_
hearing the old with the new, but most stations
wouldn't want to take that chance.