Attleboro Sun Chronicle Article About the Demise of "Local" Radio

A fellow-worker who lives south of Boston told me about this article and
promised to bring in the dead-tree version before I took a few days off,
but he forgot.  So I tried it by going to their website and checked the
archives.  If you haven't seen this article (I was out of town and didn't
hear LTAR Sunday 07/08;  it may have been discussed.)it's well worth
reading.  You can go to the website www.thesunchronicle.com and then
plug in WARA in the archive search function.  The complete URL is:
www.thesunchronicle.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=2001/June/30-348city2.txt. (Google.com makes it work).

Be sure to make the 'J' in June uppercase.

BTW, what is the time lag between LTAR on WJIB and WJTO?  If it's two
weeks, I'll be on the Cape, and I believe WJTO is audible on the north-facing
coast, so I will try to hear the program of 07/08.

Anent the discussion concerning WWZN's reception, I picked it up fairly well
Saturday night at midnight (07/07) heading west on route 20 out of Pittsfield
and in neighboring New Lebanon, NY. I was staying in Hancock,MA but
accessible only from route 22 in NY State.  I heard a talk show on 680 but
no station ID so it could have been in Binghamton, NY or elsewhere.  WBZ was
ok but not overwhelming...I theorize that between groundwave and skywave,
there's a reverse 'halo" in their nighttine coverage...it was probably blasting
into Cleveland the way AM 1100 does here.  In any event, folks out there
could be misled into thinking WWZN has a MAJOR signal back east if they
didn't know otherwise.

Laurence Glavin

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!