Re: Clear Channel changes in CT?

>This all could be coincidence, and the WWYZ liner just a tease for a
>tweaking of its format. But maybe something's brewing here, perhaps a
>flip of WKSS away from the rhythmic niche now super-served by WZMX and
>WKCI, to a different country format?

It's all coincidence. WKSS is still a Top 5 station 12+ and owns the 12-34
demos. Sister of sorts WKCI (located in a different market but also owned by
Clear Channel) is at best a rimshot in the Hartford area that targets it for
gravy. WZMX hasn't even been around a full book yet (though prior to its
flip in March the hole for a full-powered Urban-ish station on FM in
Hartford was GAPING). Even with how some corporate types elude common sense
(even in cases where eluding sense means less cents) it would be careless to
blow up 17 years of heritage and owning a demo for a format that is on the
downswing right now in a underradioed market. In all honesty, classic rock
WHCN is more due for a flip (they've been tied in the past by Springfield's
WAQY, a station with little or no promotion and care towards Hartford) than
WKSS, but suitable ratings in the male demos and 30+ years of heritage
tempers any flip there.

>There's very little twang left in
>WWYZ's music mix now -- mostly Hot New Country and the odd pop oldie
>(heard Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" today and have heard America's "Sister
>Golden Hair" several times; don't recall either getting any country
>airplay as currents.). You think maybe a more mainstream country outlet
>would find an audience in Connecticut?

First, for all intents and purposes WWYZ is a Country AC, only watered down
country material done so to try to tap into the mainstream audience who are
usually turned off by country because it sounds too "hick" (and this has
worked, WWYZ often is in the Top 5 12+ and I would assume the same 25-54).
In the eyes of local management and listeners, WWYZ is mainstream enough and
until country hits a upswing again Hartford will probably not get another
country station.

Jason Bereza
Northeast Radio Guide: http://www.radio-info.com/northeast