Re: John Quill Passes Way at 84

     If any person should be known as "Mr. Channel
22", it would be John Quill.  I used to love his live
"ad-libbed" weather forecasts and his reading of live
copy of an ad for the advertiser who sponsored his
forecasts on "NewsCenter 22".
     He saw it all, since March 17, 1953, the day WWLP
(then Channel 61) signed-on for the first time.  I am
sure that there was not a dry eye in the place when
Mr. Quill left the air for the last time last summer.
This reporter salutes Mr. John Quill for 47 years of
broadcasting excellence at WWLP (and 21 years on WRLP,
too.).  It's a shame that he never truly had a chance
to enjoy his retirement.  But then again, here's a man
who REALLY loved his work.  Everybody knew that.
"Provin Mountain" will never be the same again.  He
will be sorely missed.

-Peter Q. George
 Whitman, Massachusetts

--- "Michael P Fitzpatrick Jr." <NECRAT@the-spa.com>
wrote:
> WWLP (22 Springfield)'s long time meteorologist John
> Quill died this morning
> at Mercy Medical center . John had been suffering
> from a long bout of kidney
> problems and cancer. John was at WWLP for it's
> entire 47 year broadcast
> tenure. John was inducted into the silver circle of
> National Academy of
> Television Arts and Sciences. John is survived by
> his wife Pauline , 5
> children, 9 grandchildren, and 5 great
> grandchildren.
>
> I have the pleasure to say I got the chance to work
> with John. He was always
> a truly nice guy and had a memory like no body's
> business. The stories he
> would tell would just blow your mind.
>
> For more information, check out http://www.wwlp.com
>
> -Mike Fitzpatrick
> WWLP Master Control
> NECRAT Webmaster

> *      Tower site maps & pictures         *
> *  visit http://necrat.tripod.com         *
> *             TODAY!                      *

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
                           "Scanning the bands since 1967"