Re: Jackass,Viacom&CBS

Dave Faneuf writes:

> Actually that is not happening to the extent many believe.  When
> Westinghouse bought CBS the management of WODS and WBZ looked at how
much
> of a crossover there was between listeners of Oldies to WBZ for news
and
> found there was virtually none.  Just because a station is music
driven
> doesn't mean they CAN'T do credible news,  they just won't.  Getting
news
> from only one source is not a very good idea.

Agreed.  Most here on this list are button pushers - quite a few now
more about the radio scene than, perhaps, 90% of the market.  I don't
think people dial surf as much as we think. A listener to WODS does,
IMHO, have the attention span (that happens with age) to "wait" ninety
seconds to hear the news headlines or <gasp> survive 200 seconds of
local news with <gasp> sound.  Are we not forgetting that spot breaks
on some stations can last 6 minutes and rarely do people discuss TSL
concerns over that.  The radio dial is becoming something akin to
trying to get lunch at South Station.  You have to shop at 3 vendors
before the meal is balanced, and by that time most of it's on your
tie.  (Am I revealing too much?)

Bill O'Neill