Re: graveyard signals

The amazing thing is that the path from Salem to
Portland is NOT entirely across salt water. The signal
has to cross (my guess) 15 miles of rocky, low
conductivity, Essex County soil before it reaches the
Atlantic on its way to Portland. And lest you dismiss
the great signal with an "I guess that's just the way it
works," let me relate a story from my childhood--in the
Bronx.

I lived in the northwest Bronx very near Yonkers and a
good five to six miles from Long Island Sound. In 1948
or so, what was originally WKBS, Oyster Bay 1520 (now
WKIT Mineola) took to the air. Although it was only
250W, WKBS put quite a good signal into my QTH, as did
the legendary WICC Bridgeport 600 with TX on an island
in the Sound, but also graveyarders WSTC Stamford 1400
and WNAB Bridgeport 1450, as well as now long-deleted
WLIZ Bridgeport 1300. But I always chalked that up to
the fact that the beginning of the path was over salt
water. The end of the path was over land and the
conductivity in the Bronx, while not great, is probably
better than that in most of New England.

A few years later, WGSM Huntington signed on on 740--a
great frequency. If I recall, WGSM was originally 1 kW-D
DA-D and later went to 5 kW-D DA-D and still later to 1
kW-D ND and _still_ later to 25 kW-D DA-D. At no time,
however, was the 740 signal even near the equal of the
1520 signal until 1520 moved away from the water. I
assume that the reason (until 740's latest increase when
it installed a six-tower DA that pushes nearly
everything to the southeast) was that to get to the
Sound following a west-facing path, the signal had to
cross of few miles of Long Island's notoriously low-
conductivity soil.

If anyone can provide a better explanation of all this--
especially WESX's good signal in Portland--I'd love to
hear it. If I recall, WESX has a nearly half-wave tower,
which has to help, but I don't think it explains
everything.