Re: Hyperlinks are not enough!

<<On Sat, 19 May 2001 00:25:29 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com> said:

> Distributing copies of a copyrighted work is infringement of copyright and
> is actionable.

Well, yes and no, depending on the particulars (see 17 USC 107).
However, for the purposes of this mailing-list, I prefer not to become
a test case.

> I do not believe that publishing a link to a copyrighted work on a
> Website where it is entitled to be is an infringement, but I don't
> know whether the courts have ruled on the point.

Some such cases have been publicized, but I don't know if any have
actually gone to trial.  I for one believe the entire notion is
ludicrous, but with the rather heavy-handed approach the courts have
taken to ``intellectual property'' in the past couple of decades I
wouldn't care to defend it without some deep pockets behind me.

-GAWollman