Re: XM may follow Sirius' lead

Allegedly the technology for inserting local content
exists and XM and Sirius plan to use it--but not (at
least at first) to insert local content. Because the
multi-GHz carriers can't reach down into the canyons
between tall buildings in the large cities that are
Satellite radio's primary markets, both companies are
building or have built networks of terrestrial
transmitters in major markets. I believe that the
terrestrial signals are transmitted on the same channels
as the satellite signals and either because of different
polarization or some inhernet attibute of the modulation
system (which, I believe is COFDM, which stands for--are
you ready?--Coded Orthogonal Frequency-Division
Multiplexing; never let it be said that engineers don't
have a way with words!), they do not interfere with each
other. It should be a simple matter to add local content
in major markets--and to sell local advertising in those
markets too.