Re: WMTW call letters-- I FOUND THEM

At 08:54 AM 5/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>As I recall, 1490 in Portland was WMTW (AM) a fairly long time before there
>was a WMTW-TV or a WMTW-FM.

It would have to be really long ago, because in my Radio Annual for 1956,
1957 and 1958, it lists WPOR at 1490 in Portland.  I don't find any change
in the early 60s either-- according to my old Vane Jones Radio/TV Station
Guide from 1966, WPOR is still at 1490.  Okay, I just found the answer, and
Dan S. is right.  When what is today WPOR went on the air in 1946, as a
member of the Yankee Network, is used the call letters WMTW.  But
evidently, it only used those calls in the late 40s, since my Radio Annual
for 1949 is the last one where those calls are used.