Re: Interference issue

Bob: Unless the rules have changed, an AM that changes its facilities is
required during the first year that the new facilities are on the air to
satisfy complaints of interference only within the 1V/m contour. For a 5 kW
station operating ND (which 1260 does during the day), that would normally
mean within about 1/2 mile or less of the TX.

My estimate that WMKI puts 100 mV/m into Southie was for the daytime ND
operation. The night pattern, which is quite strongly directional to the
north, might double that figure.

WMKI does hold a CP to move its TX slightly. That's the one for which the
FCC database contained a coordinate error that put the new location about 50
miles out to sea south of New Bedford. I doubt, though, whether Disney ever
planned to move the TX. I think the CP is merely to correct the coordinates,
but it got bolluxed up by the FCC's error and other problems with the AM
database. My DeLorme mapping software puts the "new" location in the middle
of a residential neighborhood about 0.1 miles east of the present location.
That location has got to be incorrect too--just less dramatically so than
the FCC's "Radio Caroline" version. I suspect that DeLorme uses a slightly
different coordinate system from the FCC, and so did the engineers who built
the (then) WNAC TX in the mid to late 30s.

(For those who don't know, Radio Caroline was the station that--in the 60's,
I think--broke the BBC's monopoly by broadcasting rock from a transmitter
aboard a ship anchored off the British coast. The station, which has long
since gone dark, eventually relocated to--I believe--northern Spain, a
location which, though hundreds of miles from England, provided a clear salt
water path the whole way.)

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367