WMTW

I've been studying for exams this week so I have had only a limited
opportunity to listen to WMTW.  From my limited exposure, here's my
thoughts:

The station has much less local content than their announcement implied.
Most of the day, they run AP Network News with lots of network features,
with prerecorded local news and weather.  I'm not sure if it's some kind of
news network from AP that they pick up or if it is a mix of different feeds.
This runs from 9AM to 5PM, except for the noon hour when there is a local
show on business and technology that I haven't heard.  The news stuff is not
horrible, but I can't see it being commercially viable.  You need lots of
local content to make all news work.  They are using Chris Lane to record
news that runs all day.  He has great pipes and a good delivery, but you
can't have much news credible with the same guy reading the same stories
from 5:30AM to 5PM.  If you are looking for updated local news after morning
drive, it looks like WGAN is still the only commercial station in town with
a staffed newsroom.  From 5PM to 7PM, the simulcast the local news and ABC
News from WMTW-TV.

The morning show is OK.  Neila Smith is a pro.  George Campbell is smart,
but has an irritating voice and delivery.  In my limited exposure, they seem
to be mixing lifestyle topics, the day's headlines, and guests.  They seem
to be working on the idea of doing a lot of different topics each day.
Press Herald columnist Bill Nemitz has been on at least two days.  They seem
to be going for a more relaxed, less opinion driven show than you hear on
most talk stations.  WGAN has a more compelling morning show, IMHO.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine