Re: Corperate radio/Clear Channel

OK, let's ask a slightly different question. Can you
cite any example of an activity that the US government
had regulated, then decided to deregulate, and then
successfully reregulated? If at least one such exists,
maybe there's a precedent for reregulating broadcasting.

But realistically, what are the chances? Broadcasting is
important to politicians because it figures heavily in
getting out political messages during campaigns.
Therefore, politicians have always served broadcasters'
interests as opposed to the interests of the general
public. I'm referring here to the interests of the
larger broadcast groups, not to those of the dying breed
of mom-and-pop stations.

The big groups won't let the politicians forget what
they want. These groups will spend BIG money to ensure
the election of politicians who favor their interests.

Even if the public (outside of the munuscule number of
radio geeks, such as ourselves) cared fervently about
broadcasting, which (except maybe for the monthly cable
bill) it patently doesn't, all of the concern of 280
million Americans wouldn't mean as much to our elected
officials as the concern of one man--Lowry Mays. When it
comes to elections, he puts his money where his mouth is
and he gets what he wants.