Re: Corperate radio/Clear Channel

I don't agree that WTOS was a great, or even good, radio station two years
ago.  I listened to the station a lot during that time period while
traveling around the state.  The station was unique, but did not meet the
definition of good radio that I had been taught.  The staff was self
indulgent and seemed to be doing what interested and entertained them, not
what would interest and entertain the audience.  The morning show was full
of bits that would go on and on and on and on without any payoff.  It was
often like bad college radio with a 100K signal.

Clear Channel may be evil.  Consolidation may have negitive results, but
simply saying small good, large bad is overly simplistic.  In the 1980's, I
worked for some local owners who were only interested in sucking as much
money as possible out if the station and treated their employees very badly.
I worked for one station where the last person to the bank would have their
pay check bounce.  Not everything about the past was good.

You did raise an interesting question in an earlier post about Clear
Channel's domination of the Bangor market.  I was also surprised that they
were able to get approval for so many stations.  My guess is that a few of
the stations do not have a city grade signal in Bangor so they are not
couted towards Clear Channel's market total.  Does anyone know the real
answer?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine