Re: Pronunciation (Was Re: Nationals?)

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Chris Adams wrote:

> If I had a dollar for every time I have heard it pronounced "dubba-you"
> instead of "double-you", I could buy that radio station I've always wanted...

Funny you mention this....two years ago when I had my interview at the New
England School of Communications, they had me record myself reading some
news stories. WHen the tape revealed my saying "Dubbayu" Nelson Jewell,
then the admissions director, pointed out to me that it was actually
"Double-you" and that was in March, I started school there that September
and spent the whole summer practicing saying "Doubleyou" and it took a
good couple of months to be able to say it and not sound awkward......once
I got it down I couldn't beleive how often I heard it mispronounced on
Portland radio stations.....Nelson even pointed out to me that it is a
common mistake of one PD and morning show host in Portland, but I couldn;t
beleive it when I came to Bangor and heard it that much more, now it
drives me nuts! And that's just in the past two years!