Re: WGSR (Was: 89.3 pirate goes ID-crazy)

In a message dated 5/4/01 9:59:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sven@gordsven.com
writes:

<< Currently, XERF (La Poderoza 1570 - the Mighty 1570) is part of the IMER
 group - the Mexican Government's version of the BBC or CBC. However,
 unlike its English-speaking homologues, IMER carries commercials.

When I was a young DXer, I was in Miami (1965), and picked up XERF-1570 quite
well.  It was in English, then, and a mild-mannered man was asking listeners
to send the station money.   ---something I had never heard by me before.  I
was used to listen to WABC, WMCA and WKBW.   THOSE stations would never beg
listeners for $$$, so the XERF experience was quite a surprise.
----jibguy