RE: WGSR (Was: 89.3 pirate goes ID-crazy)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> The (laugh...) was because XERF does not broadcast with 250kW.  Between the
> fact that the electrical system in Ciudad Acuna cannot handle that kind of
> a load, and that the transmitter itself was never capable of running at
> that much power the whole "250 kW Border Blaster" image was little more
> than a bad joke.  I do believe the station is (or at least was) licensed
> for 250kW.

I think they're currently running 15,000 watts, according to the XERF
website -

http://www.imer.gob.mx/frame.html

click on the XERF box on the lower frame.

The power info for XERF is on the frame.html page in its box - under
Potencia - 15,000 watts

Currently, XERF (La Poderoza 1570 - the Mighty 1570) is part of the IMER
group - the Mexican Government's version of the BBC or CBC. However,
unlike its English-speaking homologues, IMER carries commercials.

The rate card for XERF is pretty damned low - talk about cheap advertising
(if this is not a typo)

XERF (1570 A.M.) CD. ACUA COAHUILA LA PODEROSA 1570

10 seconds - M$5.00

20 seconds - M$11.00

30 seconds - $M16.00

60 seconds - $M32.00

Keep in mind that prices are in Mexican pesos.

Also, as far as XERF not being able to broadcast at 250,000 watts, wasn't
that station rebuilt by some guy named Michael Venditti who according to
the article on this station's website, was able to rebuild that
transmitter without a schematic?

Check out http://www.wnjc1360.com/memorial/memorial.htm

Sven F. Weil
email: sven@chookus.com