Re: Telecommunications Act (Lack of) Coverage

What you say is true, but what kind of guy (OK, we know
one--Bob Bittner) would turn down an offer of, say, $3
million for a property that he had been unable to unload
for, say, $500k for the previous five years. (Just to
clarify, I'm not suggesting that Bob has _ever_ tried to
sell WJIB or WJTO.)

So the small operators who sold are blameless too. But
this is a zreo-sum game, isn't it? Assuming that all of
these sales took place during a transitory "bubble" in
station values that resulted from the Communications Act
of 1996, _someone_ (besides all of the displaced
employees) has to get hurt, and get hurt badly. I
think "someone" would be the investors who bought at the
top and will likely see the values of these big groups
collapse the way the values of the dot coms collapsed.

For sure, in an age of direct satellite broadcasting,
with its necessarily national content, CC's policy of
sacrificing localism for profit will reduce the value of
its stations, which won't be able to differentiate
themselves from the satellite competition. We will then
see the rebirth of localism in radio, most likely
followed by the rapid divestiture (or at least LMAing)
of a lot of properties, followed in turn by a collapse
of station values, a collapse of group-owner market
values, and very likely some very high-profile corporate
takeovers or outright bankruptcies.

Of course, that scenatio could be just wishful thinking
on my part. However, I hope that's what happens because,
in my opinion, the collapse of the big groups is
necessary for the restoration of half-decent radio in
the US. Note I said necessary; I did NOT say sufficient.
The death of the big groups won't guarantee improvement;
it might just leave US radio worse off than it is now.