Re: Nationals?

On Tue, 01 May 2001 13:01:21 -0400 hopfgapr@sprynet.com writes:
> Cosidering the fairly unusual nature of our relationship with P.R.,
> I'd say it's a common mistake. I'd bet half the people in this
> country think Puerto Rico is a separate country. I wish it was
> either a state (Jump In) or independent (Jump Out), because, by and
> large, (IMHO) P.R. gets all the advantages of USA without the costs.
>

> IIRC, didn't statehood lose by a narrow margin last time it came up?

Regardless of what most American's think PR is, a seperate country or
not, the fact is accuracy is important in journalism.  A journalist needs
to get it right, not get it the way most people think so I can't accept
that as an excuse.   I personally don't believe most American's think PR
is a seperate country and yes, statehood lost last time around, I don't
recall the margin.

df