Re: Nail in streaming's coffin

StreamAudio's press release doesn't say how they can do it, it only says "it
has in place the technology to replace or blackout AFTRA Recorded
commercials for it's radio station partners. StreamAudio also provides audio
streaming and revenue-sharing ad replacement for it's partnered stations."
According to their COO, the capability has been in place for a while and
says the stations can edit out ads "with the click of a mouse."

When I worked at one of the ill-fated "Z-Rock" ABC/SMN satellite affiliates,
we locally produced commercials and loaded them into our computers, so when
master control in Texas went to commercial, they'd send a command over the
satellite feed that triggered our own system to cut in -- we were also told
of the length of each break ahead of time so we could schedule
appropriately.  I don't see how that could work for Internet streaming with
only the click of a mouse though -- they'd have to set up a new system that
the DJs (or board-ops) would have to activate whenever they went to
commercial as well as time each break so it wouldn't overlap the terrestrial
signal.