Re: national sports radio networks

In a message dated Wed, 11 Apr 2001  1:58:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mark Shneyder <bostonradio@yahoo.com> writes:

<< I think in this particular case it's the parent company, Winstar
Comm. which is going thru a rough stretch. They're carrying
a $3.5 billion debt and their share price went from $60 to 60 cents in
less than a year. Last Friday they layed off 2,000 workers
so I am sure some of the cuts would stretch to their
radio subsidary, SportsFan. >>

If Sports Fan were to die, it wouldn't come a moment
 too soon. Out of the four national sports networks,
 their programming is the poorest. Depending on what
you are looking for, ESPN, Sporting News, and FOX
 Sports radio networks all provide something
insightful. Sports Fan is just a bunch of yelling,
 obnoxious, lunatics who don't offer anything
 insightful, starting with JT The Brick. They also
 managed to somehow bring in Scott Ferrall (who had a
 great show on WWI several years back before briefly
 doing hockey play-by-play) and turn his show from a
 funny, exciting program into an absolute snorefest. I
 heard his show one night on 1440 last summer when I
 was home and had to turn it off after five minutes.

Somehow, Sports Fan has managed to land some affiliates
 in major markets, namely Boston, Detroit and the Bay
 Area. I think this is because they have somehow been
 compensating their affiliates in order to get national
 clearance. Hopefully each station in said market would
 turn to FOX or ESPN if Sports Fan is to go under.

-Sean