Re: Nomo coverage

In a message dated Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:22:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> writes:

<< I've always wondered--given that neither Tomo Ohka nor Hideo Nomo speak
English, how do the other players and the sportswriters communicate with
them?  Tonight, Nomo had an interpreter-- but I doubt he always travels
with one... >>

IIRC, Nomo has never really given many media interviews for this very reason. Thus, players from the Asian countries have an especially difficult time dealing with the media and can often be considered "aloof," a description I believe I have heard in connection with Nomo many times in the past. Players coming from Latin America face the same issues, but with so many Hispanic players and club employees with major league teams these days, I'm sure it's not as much of an obstacle.

There's a short mention of the communication barrier between teammates in a short feature on Mike Lansing which the Providence Journal posted a couple hours ago. Oh, the beauty of the Internet.