Re: Maine Times: Listeners want to put the 'public' back in radio

> MPR's rationale to make changes was based
> on "research".  Coca-Cola's rationale
> to change "Coke" to "New Coke" was based
> on research, too.  The Coke-drinking
> public retorted.  Coke recanted.
>
> Perhaps there needs to be some more research
> on research methodologies.
>
> Roger Kirk

Four out of five dentists surveyed recommend....  For all of the polling
that goes on across the fruited plain, how come I've never been called?
Have you?  (I know that the web-based surveys get decent responses.)
Once you're on a call hit list and then you're surveyed often, are you
not, then, a tainted sample?  I had to take Research Methods twice in
college to pass it.  Not a chi square kind of guy.

IMHO, orgs. who rely heavily upon sampling to arrive at baseline,
structural decisions about their situation should take a long weekend
out there to consider changing gigs.

Bill O'Neill