Re: Bruce Schwoegler is retiring !?!

>Gary Francis wrote:
>Did anyone catch the oddly worded blurb in Friday's Boston Globe
>http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/061/living/TV_Radio+.shtml     saying that
>Bruce is "retiring" on May 1st.  As far as I know he is no where near
>retirement age and the way the article is worded "(he) had previously agreed
>to the retirement" makes it sound like it wasn't his idea but CBS's.
<snip>

        I recall that last May he made one of his periodic appearances on
one of the late evening WBZ talk shows and I think he said, in general
terms, that he probably would be at 4 for about another year. This was
after he had been moved to weekends. He talked about one or more other
business things he was getting involved in. He talked about how weather is
sensationalized on TV and many of the presenters are not well trained. He
talked a little, sort of indirectly, about how management wants
good-looking younger people doing it.

        I believe his story is that he was shoved out of the prime
newscasts because, whether they admit it or not, management thought he was
both too old and had been there too long (two separate things). Hearing his
views about how the weather is presented, I have wondered whether internal
disagreements might also have been involved.

        Maybe Bruce will send a post.