Re: Local radio's back -- sorta

At 02:57 PM 3/2/01 -0500, Dan Billings wrote:
>This week's Casco Bay Weekly cover story:
>
>J.J. Jeffrey is challenging the industry giants with a string of tiny
>stations airing a tiny amount of local programming.
>
>http://www.cascobayweekly.com/news/cov3_1_01.html

Nice reference to Scott ["It comes back to J.J. being a smart guy," said
Scott Fybush of Rochester, NY. Since 1994, Fybush has operated a Web
magazine called Northeast Radio Watch. "He probably saw the top of the
market coming. I don't think the prices for radio stations will ever be as
high as when he sold them to Citadel. He made a fortune selling his
stations. I assume he was pretty much able to pay cash for everything he's
bought so far. That gives him some flexibility in having the resources to
build up these radio stations. He has the money to go off and do radio and
have fun doing it."
More importantly, that fun could ultimately translate into genuine local radio.
"If you compare the stations J.J. sold from then to now, they don't have
the same local feel that he and Bob Fuller brought to them," Fybush said.
"J.J. sees an opportunity to keep local radio alive, and he's doing it in
smaller markets."]

While in Las Vegas last week, I came across J.J.Jeffrey on the New Kool
93.1 KQOL where his show airs 2PM-7PM PST. Is he doing satellite voice
tracks? Is he playing both sides of the fence?
Satellite and local?
Takin' it Easy99.1,
Bill Piacentini
mailto:billpi@LL.MIT.EDU
Welcome to the 21st Century! Consultant-free, locally-owned WPLM-FM 99.1,
with a playlist encompassing a large timeline with a unique blend of great
music by great artists, begins another successful year (its third) and
another century (its second) of its unique format!