Re: non-profit AND commercial radio

In a message dated Fri, 2 Mar 2001  3:51:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Bob Nelson...WMWM" <bobonradio@yahoo.com> writes:

<< I'm surprised the FCC didn't try to move my station's
freq (WMWM 91.7 Salem) because of WUMB's arrival, with
WMWM on an adjacent channel...  >>

Was WMWM Class D when WUMB signed on (c.1982)? If it was still 10 watts, I am surprised WMWM was bumped. However, I believe that WUMB actually has to protect WMWM somewhat in its pattern, leading me to believe that WMWM was not Class D at this time. WUMB's stick is south of the city, in either Quincy or Milton, and while it does radiate north, I don't know if its power is enough to go within WMWM's protected contour. Of course, I'm not a techie, so I could easily be wrong on some of this stuff.

On the other hand, WRBB was definitely a Class D at that time; I don't know if WBRS was a Class D and I don't know how much power they have now. I used to work in downtown Lexington and could never pick up WBRS on my rather strong radio, getting Southbridge (?) instead.

-Sean