my 20th anniversary at WMWM

Shameless self-promotion:
It doesn't happen often--a college radio DJ spending
20 years at the same station. Greg Reibman did it at
WMBR. And now I am about to do it. My first show
was on March 12, 1981 and I will celebrate my 20th
anniversary at WMWM on Sunday, March 11 from 12-3 pm
on 91.7 FM in Salem!

I will play the usual blues plus some old promos
and even an hour or so of non-blues stuff ranging
from the Turtles to 80s new wave. Since most college
DJs only spend a few short years at their stations,
it's rare that someone (like me) can be about to
start a third decade of broadcasting.

It's been fun being a DJ all these years. I trained as
a DJ in the fall of 1980 but couldn't get on till
March of '81 because our antenna fell down, sending a
shock wave which fried our transmitter and board. We
came within one day of losing our license for being
off
so long. First song played : Gary Numan, "Praying to
the Aliens". Time slots: all sorts of them. Music
played: alternative rock, blues, folk, country,
jazz, reggae, R&B, and more.

Seems like just yesterday that I was in the old
Sullivan Building studios of WMWM (we have been in
College Union since 1984) and our old UPI teletype
was giving updates on the shooting of President
Reagan (March, 1981). And I remember us getting a
newfangled device called a "CD Player". Hard to
believe, but some of our current DJs may not have
been born yet when I did my first show!