Re: smooth jazz

it was written:
>Smooth Jazz didn't work in Boston for two reasons.  One, the minority
>population is not large enough, and it's an important demographic for a
>smooth jazz station.

Most of Boston's minority population, at least in the younger demographics,
seems to prefer rap and dance music stations, based on what I have
observed.  For them, "smooth jazz" is just like elevator music, much too
wimpy.  Personally, I would love to see a 'real' jazz format on the air
somewhere-- I worked at WRVR-FM in New York when it was jazz, and we had
similar demos to what a classical station gets-- a small but very loyal
niche audience that listened for hours and hours.   It's interesting that
despite all the hoo-hah over Ken Burns' recent documentary, jazz records
are selling fewer and fewer copies.  Yet I still think there IS a niche for
this type of station.