Clear Channel Changes WBYA to Rock

At midnight this morning at the dawn of the new millenium, Clear Channel
changed WBYA (101.7) to a classic rocker giving Stephen King's WKIT
(100.3) some direct competition.

So far, the station seems to be completely voicetracked and are using the
slogans "Classic Rock that Rocks" and "Classic Rock that REALLY rocks"
(ironically WKIT uses that one as well)

I don't know what their future plans are, but a friend of mine that just
got hired by clearchannel was told that he would most likely be a
personality on the new station last week.

Obviously it will have much more of a format then WKIT which is pretty
much logged but most of what is logged is replaced with listener requests.

Many of the liners that I've heard on the all new "Fox 101.7"  take direct
stabs at the competition, WKIT and WTOS as well.

It will be interesting to see what sort of impact this has on the Bangor
radio market.

Jeremy
WBZN