Re: Globe shrinks in size and now in Stature.

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:19:34 EST Dib9@aol.com writes:
> I'm interested by the difference in coverage nationally of the
> Wakefiled
> shooting and the shooting of 10 people, with 7 deaths, in
> Philadelphia.  The
> Wakefield incident rightly got big coverage, but the Philadelphia
> incident
> has got little.  I guess the media has made the judgment that the
> killing of
> 7 people in a crack house is not a tragedy.  Maybe they assume the
> victims
> had it coming.  The difference in coverage, of two incidents coming
> only days
> apart, is striking.  It says a lot about how our society put
> different values
> on human life.
>
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

I can tell you the BBC put a spin on it that made us seem like gun
totting cowboys and these incidents are becoming common place.  The BBC
World Service  interviewed me the night of the shooting and in the
introduction to my interview they ran down a list of shootings, the
presenter even called it "Going Postal".  I was surprised she used that
term.

df
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.