Re: voice-tracking is the symptom, but it's not the disease-- re send

Although I agree with a lot (albeit, far from all) of
what Donna said, I think she erred in posting her
message in a reply to your message on voice-tracking.
Your topic was only marginally related to what Donna
wanted to write about and I don't think she should have
used your message as an excuse for creating what I liken
to a clumsy segue.

One part of what Donna wrote that I disagree with is
that the technology is responsible for the state of
radio. Just becasue hard-drive automation enables a
broadcast group to use a personality thousands of miles
from a market to--in 35 minutes or so--voice-track a
four-hour shift, thus allowing the personality time to
provide customized local content for stations in eight
markets (none of which the personality may ever even
have visited) doesn't obligate the broadcast group to
use the approach. The technology may enable--or even
encourage--management to mismanage its business, but the
technology is not at fault; management is.

Blaming the (faceless) technology is another example of
avoiding pinning responsibility on the responsible
parties (or accepting responsibility for ones own
actions). Both are symptoms of what seems to be a
widespread and serious problem in 21st-century Western
civilization.